A custom home may be different from the usual residence in various ways, but it still requires the same TLC as other homes. While building a house from scratch is a tremendous job, maintaining it will also demand more work from your end. Do not feel overwhelmed, though. With a clear and systematic approach, you can keep your home well-maintained and in good condition.
This article will go over the tasks you need to do every month, quarter, six months, and year. Bookmark this page or add the tasks to your schedule, and your home will be in great shape for years to come.
Monthly Tasks: What You Need to Do Every Month
Your house needs to be regularly cleaned, but these tasks only need to be scheduled once a month.
- Range Hood Filters: Clean your range hood filters according to the manufacturer’s instructions. The usual way to clean them is by soaking the filters in a mixture of degreaser and warm water.
- Sink Disposal: Make sure to clean your sink disposal at least once every month. Put in lemon slices or use frozen vinegar ice cubes to clean it and remove any smells.
- Garage Door Sensors: Part of the maintenance check is ensuring that all the equipment and tools in your home are working properly. Make sure to check your garage door sensors, if you have one.
- GFCI Outlets: The Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter or GFCI is usually found in bathrooms or kitchens. It is a fast-acting circuit breaker designed to shut off electric power during emergencies. Schedule a monthly test to ensure that it is still active and working.
Quarterly Tasks: Schedule These Every Quarter
Here are the maintenance tasks you can do at least once every quarter.
- HVAC Filters: Replace your filters to ensure quality air within your home.
- HVAC Condenser: Check your condenser and free it from any leaves and debris.
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors: Test your detectors every quarter to make sure they are still functioning.
- Water Test: Test the water pressure and flow around your house, especially in rooms and areas you rarely use.
- Pest Control: Set an appointment with a pest control company for a quarterly inspection or service.
Semi-Annual Tasks: Do These Every Six Months
Make sure to perform the following tasks on your house at least twice a year:
- Home Deep Cleaning: While everyday cleaning is still important, make sure to give your house a deep cleaning service every six months.
- Refrigerator Coils: Vacuum away the dirt that accumulates on your refrigerator coils to ensure the machine will last longer and run efficiently.
- Dryer Exhaust Duct: Your dryer exhaust duct can also accumulate debris and dirt. Make sure to clean it to keep it in its best condition.
- Sink Traps (Curved Pipe): Dismantle and clean the sink traps to clear any obstructions and buildup.
- HVAC Clean Up and Check Up: After cleaning your HVAC from the outside, you need to ensure that it also functions properly from the inside. Hire an HVAC specialist twice a year to clean condensate from drain lines and check the duct for any leaks.
Annual Tasks: Perform These Tasks Once a Year
Your home annual maintenance tasks will include inspecting the following.
- Home Exterior
- Plumbing Fixture Caulk
- Exterior Drainage
- Front Doors and Door/Gate Hinges
- Proper Freeze Preparation
Make the most out of your home investment by giving it the love and care it deserves. Keep in mind the maintenance tasks you need to perform regularly. They may look overwhelming, but with proper scheduling, you will have everything in order and extend the life of your home.
Are you looking for a custom home builder in Greenwood? Contact us at Duke Homes. We are a trusted custom builder with over 30 years of bringing one-of-a-kind homes to our clients. Whether you are planning to build a new home or enhance an existing one, we can help.