It’s one matter to purchase a house, and it’s another to build a custom home. While the former involves selecting the right property, the latter entails turning your vision into a reality. This is where coming up with design decisions come into the picture. However, keep in mind that planning and choosing your custom home designs isn’t an easy process. There are many considerations to make—from knowing what you exactly want down to hiring the right contractor in building your home.
In this article, we will share four key factors to consider when coming up with a custom design for your new home construction project:
1. Home vision
Before you take the plunge in a custom home design, you must know what you want. Start by looking at your existing house and all the areas and components. Then, ask yourself: “What home vision will I want to bring into life?” Here’s what you need to consider:
- Floor plan: The chances are that you’d like to add additional bathrooms, extend your house for a growing family, or have a more functional kitchen and dining area for food preparation and eating sessions.
- Architectural design: You have to be specific with your house theme and area designs. For instance, you may want to have a Zen-like bathroom, a theater-like living space, or a guest room in your basement.
- Wish list items: It’s best to jot down a list of items, fixtures, and designs that you hope to incorporate into your house. For instance, you may need a vanity cabinet, a kitchen countertop, ambient and task lighting, and much more.
2. Materials for your custom home
Once you’ve decided on your custom home, the next factors to consider are the materials to be used. It’s best to have a list of all the materials you need. Here are several elements you can consider:
- French doors and windows
- Materials for your walls, floors, and roofing system (tiles, carpet, dry wood, and shingles)
- Fixtures for your kitchen, bathroom, and other spaces at home
- Things like countertops, open shelving, cabinetry, lighting, and storage
- Appliances like a new fridge, dishwasher, washing machine, and more
Once you have finalized your list, you can then look for manufacturers that can supply you with your desired items.
3. Overall budget
Once you have a list of all the needed materials, you can survey for the price of each item. Of course, you’ll have to set your overall budget and invest only in the materials that you can afford. However, this doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll go for the most affordable option to the extent of compromising the product quality. As a rule of thumb, be sure to strike a balance between affordability and quality when investing in your custom home materials.
4. Custom home designer and builder
When it comes to this step, you typically have the option to get some recommendations from friends and colleagues or search online for a potential contractor in your locality. While you’re at it, consider their industry experience, level of expertise, and areas of specialization. Likewise, be sure to check their portfolio and previous works. If you can contact past clients and interview them, this will help you make the right decision based on your needs.
A custom home is indeed a complex project that any aspiring homeowner can pursue. If you want to achieve your dream home, be sure to consider the following crucial factors—your home vision, materials, overall budget, and hired designer and builder. With all these in mind, you’ll be on the right track with your custom home construction, and you’ll soon achieve the dream home that you’ve long envisioned for you and your family!
Are you looking to turn your home vision into a reality? You’ve come to the right place! We’re a custom home builder in Greenwood,IN, with over 30 years of experience in the industry. If you need help with your custom home design, get in touch with us today to see how we can help!